When and Where
The next Fire On The Rim is September 16, 2017. Stay tuned here for information on all the events for this year's race.
Interactive map for location of all Fire on the Rim Events (northwest corner of Bradshaw Dr and Old County Road, Pine AZ)
What’s On for 2017?
- Venue Area – Watch the finish line in front of bandstand and enjoy the music stage in an area with room to set up chairs
- Course improvements – Look for new reroutes on Trail 15
- Venue Map – see the locations for the race venue, parking, and camping on the 2017 Venue map
- More Vendors – See all vendors who are setting up stands offering food, crafts, and gifts
- Official Sports Energy Sponsor – Glukos is the official sports energy supplier for the race
- Bands – live music on the stage include The Faultlines on Friday and Whisky Tango and the John Scott Band on Saturday
- Silent Auction It’s hard to believe but we have more great baskets and offerings than ever before.
- Bike Raffle – get your tickets for the raffle, we have bikes and a sketboard donated as prizes
- Outdoor Game Area – more fun things to do
- Kids Race – Check out the information and a new signup form
Providing live music this year on the Fire on the Rim Stage are the following bands:
- The Faultlines are on stage Friday. We are a rock trio based in Prescott, Arizona, focused on original music. Our album, New Rage is out now and our new single, Running Shoes is available on iTunes, Google Play and YouTube.
- Whiskey Tango, Arizona’s premiere top 40, rock, dance hits cover band, will be playing Saturday. We are a four piece group dedicated to providing live entertainment for all events! Bars, corporate events, weddings, festivals, and casinos! No venue is complete without having tasted the sweet music of Whiskey Tango. We can bring fun and excitement to you and your patrons all night with our talented group of practiced showmen. So let’s get the party started, and dance all night, with your favorite rockin’ hits.
- The John Scott Band returns to the stage Saturday bringing their blend of Arizona blues & classic rock.
Camping and Parking
For tent campers, “Camp Sprocket” is located next to THAT Brewery on Highway 87. This location has shade and there is a dedicated bike trail from the camping area to the race events.
There is no cost for camping here. As it is on private land donated for use in this event, we ask you to be especially considerate by cleaning up after yourself. Also, no open flames are allowed.
The camping area will open at noon on Friday before the race. No hookups or dumping are available. Restrooms are on site for your use, free showers are available a short bike ride away at Pine Elementary School and 24 hour security is provided. Enter Camp Sprocket at the north end of the THAT Brewery parking lot (look for signs). See the location for camping as well as general parking:
You can also find free camping in Tonto National Forest areas within a short bike ride of the venue. Again, it’s very important to clean up after yourself.
Plan to use Camp Sprocket for the weekend and enjoy all the pre and post race activities without the hassle of having to drive from elsewhere. Pine is a gateway community to the Arizona Trail, just a short distance from your campground, and many restaurants, facilities and shops are all within walking distance. Park your car and spend your down time enjoying the cool mountain air and exploring what the small town of Pine has to offer.
General Schedule of Events
- 12:00 PM Campsite Opens
- 5:00 PM Beer Garden Opens • Italian Feast • Silent Auction start
- 6:00 PM Late Registration • Packet pickup / Check in • Live Music by The Faultlines
- 8:00 PM Registration Closes
- 6:00 AM Late Registration • Packet pickup/Check in • Food Wagons Open
- 7:15 AM Registration Closes
- 7:30 AM 45 MILE RACE Start
- 7:45 AM 30 MILE RACE Start
- 8:00 AM 15 MILE RACE Start
- 11:00AM Beer Garden Opens
- 2:00 PM Kids Race Start • Live Music by Whisky Tango
- 2:30 PM Awards Ceremony • Bike Raffle drawing • Silent Auction closes
- 6:00 PM Live Music • Live Music by the John Scott Band
- 9:00AM Ride new sections of trail
- 3:00 PM Campsite Closes
About the Race Course
Course Notes and Pre-Ride Dates
The complete course will be marked and open to for pre-rides on August 26 & 27 and on September 9 & 10. Start and finish is at on Bradshaw Drive west of Old County Road in Pine, where all the events are happening (see map above).
- A section of the course on top of Strawberry Mountain is private ranch land and will be open ONLY for the pre-ride dates and the race. To ride most of the course at any other time, you can bypass the private land by taking FR 428 (Hardscrabble) all the way to Fossil Creek Rd and turning right into Strawberry. With a map of Strawberry you can pick the course back up at the corner of Fuller & Ralls Rd. You can even backtrack up the mountain from there to the ranch fence to pre-ride the downhill. Otherwise just continue on toward Hwy 87 and head south to the Strawberry Trailhead for the single track.
- Pre-rides are not part of the organized event; it’s an opportunity for individuals to review the race course on their own. Riders assume complete liability for their own safety.
Food and Drink
Join us 5-8pm Friday evening September 15 for an Italian feast prepared by Chef Val of THAT Brewery. Follow the delicious smells at the event center to red barn of the Mary Ellen Randall Horse Arena (corner of of Old County Road and Bradshaw in Pine). Tickets are $15 on on sale weekends now through the race form our friendly volunteers set up in front of the Ponderosa Market.
On Race Day (Saturday) we have a lot of options to satisfy the hunger and thirst for racers and race supporters — see the current list of vendors to see what food you can count on enjoying as you watch the racers.
Our Title Sponsor, THAT Brewery, will sponsor the beer garden again this year.
Be sure to sample the phenomenal local THAT brews on tap, and don’t forget – you can contribute to the Arizona Trail from the comfort of the beer garden just by purchasing an Arizona Trail Ale a portion of all sales of this beer are donate to the Arizona Trails Association)!
And this year in the garden you can also drink wine from our friends Fire Mountain Wines in Cottonwood.
Kids Kamp will be back this year during the race on Saturday from 6:30 am to 2 pm! While you race worry-free, your kids will get to play games, do crafts, read stories, and eat lunch under the watch of child care specialists.
The fee for Kids Kamp is $10 per child. You can sign up along with your race registration or you can sign up the day of the race.The fee for Kids Kamp is $10 per child. You can sign up along with your race registration or you can sign up the day of the race.
<em>Note: if your child requires constant one on one care or has separation anxiety, please realize that you may need to be present during Kids Kamp or make additional arrangements. </em>
But Wait, There’s More!
The silent auction will be back as well as the bike raffle. For a preview see the gallery of items auctioned last year, which raised $7700 for fire prevention efforts, thanks to all of our donors
And yes kids and adults, we will be running again the popular Fire on the Rim Kids Race .
The perfect way to end your weekend in Pine / Strawberry is to get in one last ride in the cool forests of the Rim Country. And the perfect ride is to check out all the trail work that’s been going on in the Pine Strawberry area. There’s a newly redone loop designed with bikes in mind. And wait till you ride the new downhill section of Pine Canyon Trail – it’s CRAZY fun!! Location to meet up will be posted.
Got brilliant ideas or want to volunteer for the event? Contact us!
If you are interested in FOTR, riding the race, volunteering, or being part of the event itself, or have any other questions, please use our contact form. You can also email us directly: